A Brief History
of the Alps Boulder Canyon Inn
prior to 1870 (before Colorado became a state), the Alps
was originally known as the Topeka Colonies and later the Hadley Cottages.
The property served as a stage stop and resting spot for those traveling
to and from Boulder's mining districts.
1905 the property was completely remodeled and renamed the Alps Hotel
and Resort. The Alps Resort provided a restaurant and luxurious accommodations
for those traveling on the "World Famous
Switzerland Trail Railroad" thought to be the most
scenic railroad in the world at the time.
Guests would arrive and depart from the
town of Orodelafan's railway station and yard located 300 yards North
of the Alps at the confluence of Boulder and Four Mile Creeks. The
Alps Boulder Canyon Inn and Red Lion Restaurant along with a few foundations
are all that remain of this historic Boulder County mining community.
The original liquor licence for the hotel
was signed by Teddy Roosevelt.
The Alps property hosted one of the first
trout farms in Colorado which was operated by the Boulder Fish and
Game Club, Colorado's first conservation organization dedicated to
the stocking of Colorado's high mountain lakes, rivers and streams.
Mining steadily declined in Boulder County
and the Switzerland Trail Railroad was decommissioned in the 1930's.
One of the railroads engines and several cars have been restored and
are on display in Boulder's Central Park.
With the loss of rail travelers the Alps
Hotel and Resort fell on hard times. The hotel was eventually closed
and owners operated the property as a "bordello" and then for a while as "Art's Bar
The 1940's brought the Boulder Canyon
Forest Highway known today as Colorado Highway 119 or Boulder Canyon
Drive connecting Boulder and Nederland through scenic Boulder Canyon.
The state's first fish hatchery was closed and relocated as the new
highway passed in front of the hotel following Boulder Creek.
1960 the Alps found new life as one of the nations first "Moose
Lodges" a fraternal organization. The Moose Club operated as
such for 30 years until it was sold in 1990 due to declining membership
to the Vanderhart and Ruzicka families.
A massive multi-million dollar restoration
project was undertaken and after 2 years of renovations the Alps Hotel
reopened as the Alps Boulder Canyon Inn. The Alps became Boulder's
and one of Colorado's oldest and finest lodging properties and remains
so today. A link between Boulder and Boulder County's colorful historical
past and vibrant future.
Quality Assurance :
3 Diamond Awarded.
* Mobil Travel Guide, 3 Star Awarded.
* Frommer's, Preferred Accommodations.
* Westword Magazine, Awarded "Best
* "Recommended Country Inns in the
Rockies" by Doris Kennedy.
* Denver's 5280 Magazine, Awarded "Top
of the Town".
Distinctive Inns of Colorado,
Association of Independent Innkeepers, Boulder
Hotel and Motel Association, Boulder
Visitors and Convention Bureau, Boulder
Chamber of Commerce, Colorado Hotel
and Lodging Association, Colorado
Travel and Tourism Authority, Colorado
Restaurant Association, Nederland
Chamber of Commerce.
303-444-5445 or 1-800-414-2577(Outside Colorado)
Alps Boulder Canyon Inn, 38619 Boulder Canyon Drive, Boulder,
CO 80302 USA
Tele: (303) 444-5445 Fax: (303) 444-5522 E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
All content © 2009 Alps Boulder Canyon Inn
site by: Dot Rodeo